Leadership style differs from person to person according to the tasks, team and individual capabilities. However the following tips will help to achieve effective leadership styles.
* Whenever possible, delegate the work to the employee as a whole. But be sure that the employee understands the whole process. You can also connect them in a group if possible.
* Ensure that the employees understand what you exactly want them to do. You can ask questions and watch their work time to time in order to confirm that they understand the work fully.
* If you have any clear idea about successful outcome, share it with employees. You make the employees to do right things to accomplish tasks successfully.
* Identify the key points when you want feed back about progress.
* Decide in advance in what way you want to reward the employees after he achieves the task.
Effective leadership styles take time and energy but they provide more benefits. Leadership style model helps to achieve effective leadership styles. It includes how to involve employees in decision making and discussions with their supervisors time to time. The leadership style will have great impact on others. Therefore courses and programs are offered for leaders to set a good role model for their team members.
Effective leadership style courses are suitable for middle level managers who want to enhance the team spirit and effectiveness among team members. They will learn to identify preferred management styles. The course will also help the manager to choose the appropriate leadership styles that will help in facing any situations. This will also increase the ability to motivate others.
Benefits of effective leadership styles:
Any organizational success depends upon the leadership style. The well chosen leadership style will bring proper accomplishment of goals and objectives. It helps to understand human behavior in wider perspective. It also helps in developing positive self awareness.
Though there are number of leadership styles, the three main effective leadership styles are discussed below:
1. Authoritarian leadership; an authoritarian leader will clearly define what are the organizational needs and what should be done and how it should be done. He will make decisions independently. Rarely does he allow others to help in decision making. Therefore the decision making in this type is less creative than other styles. Abused leader can be viewed in this style. However this style is applicable where little group decision is required.
2. Participative leadership; this is the most important and effective leadership style. This is also known as democratic leadership. Here the leader offers guidance to his team members and he motivates his group members. The leader encourages group discussion and allows team members in decision making. As the group members will feel happy to participate, they will provide higher potentiality.
3. Delegative; Delegative leaders offer no guidance to the group members and allow them to take decision on their own. This style will be suitable when the group members are highly qualified and efficient. However this style lacks motivation. The group member may lack commitment in the later stage.